Legal Head and Company Secretary -Pharmaceutical
Reporting to the Country Head South Africa and a direct line to the Head Legal Africa. This position has responsibility for providing strategic direction and leadership relating to all legal issues with respect to the South African business including business done by the company in the Export markets. This includes the management of commercial transactions, litigation, labour law related matters and regulatory questions.
1. General Legal Counsel to the Country Head.
2. Responsible for anticipating, identifying and analysing legal issues and the development of legal strategies and solutions. Continuously monitor developments in the business, local market and legal/regulatory regime to adequately assess legal risks and opportunities for the Company. Propose concrete actions to mitigate risks and exploit opportunities.
3. Ensure local Management is made aware of Group-wide norms, including policies, and are taking action to implement the same in their businesses. Oversee adjustment of all such norms, where required, to reflect local law and regulation.
4. Ensure training is provided to Management and Associates in the areas of the law presenting the greatest risk locally.
5. Ensure reporting of issues as required (to Corporate, Division Legal and Practice Groups).
6. Act as a Business partner in all actions relating to the Company’s contractual negotiations and statutory obligations; in particular relating to the ownership, control and protection of inventions and confidential business information, reviewing, drafting and negotiating all legal business issues regarding the Company’s research collaborations, licensing activities and other significant transactions.
7. Directly handle legal issues related to business development, labour law and corporate governance. Directly negotiate and draft distribution agreements, licensing agreements, promotion agreements, services agreements, acquisition and/or divestment agreements.
8. Liaise with and manage external Law Firms.
9. Advise on public announcements and promotional material relating to specific products or alliances.
10. Manage disputes and dispute resolution relating to specific products or alliances.
11. Advise and determine appropriate actions regarding compliance issues, such as anti-trust and regulatory.
12. Legal advice on questions regarding technical operations of the Company.
Bachelor of Laws (LLB) admitted attorney in South Africa
1. 4-5 years post admission experience required: ideally gained within a corporate environment or a well-established commercial law firm. Experience in a healthcare / pharmaceutical environment will be beneficial.
2. Ability to analyse complex commercial legal issues.
3. Strong verbal and written communication skills, together with a high ability to influence and negotiate.
4. Strong legal drafting skills
5. Proven ability to deal positively when working within tight time pressures and demanding clients.
6. Sound experience in handling a high volume of activity involving multiple, often complex projects simultaneously.
7. Demonstrate professional and culturally sensitive work ethic.
8. Attention to detail.
9. Ability to proactively engage with commercial management to find practical solutions and partner with them to implement desired actions.
Send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted within 2 weeks.